Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Well, all the Cool Kids are Blogging

I figure it's time to jump on this bandwagon. It seems all of my friends have blogs now - I always hear comments about how I need to read their latest post(s). So, now I have a place to make such comments. Why anybody would want to read this - I'm not sure, leave me a comment, and let me know!

One of the things that is motivating me to blog is my current contract. Well, that and my 11 month old daughter. Probably a good amount of my posts will be about her. But not tonight, there'll be time for that in the future.

Back to my current contract ... I accepted a one month contract to build a VB.net app. I have never worked in the .Net world, so this seemed like a good opportunity for me. It would give me a chance to see what all the hype from unacoder is about, but not lock me into something long term if I don't enjoy it. I've been doing Java and Ruby, so this could be a nice change for me.

The part I didn't realize is that it's hard to find examples in the VB.net community. Most of the examples I find are in C#. So, many times I am looking at C# examples, and then figuring out the best way to do something similar in VB.

For instance, I am an agile, test-infected, object-oriented developer. So, I run out and get nUnit, nHibernate and Watir. Then I start Googling for some quick start guides on getting this to work under VB.net. Wow - spartan. There are some guides out there, sure, but it seems most of them are geared to C#. So, my pair-programming partner and I are talking about whether or not it would be useful to prepare some of these guides as we go along. If we weren't under such a time crunch, I'm sure we would. We'll see though, maybe we can drop some breadcrumbs for some of the later adventurers.

Well, I'm starting to get a cold, and I haven't worked out at all this week(!) so I should probably think about getting to sleep soon and getting up early enough to exercise.

Good night.

No comments: